Network monitoring system with many features.
It can be used for:
- high level monitoring of IT services;
- centralized monitoring of your servers and applications;
- monitoring of SNMP-enabled devices;
- performance monitoring (process load, network activity, disk activity, memory usage, OS parameters etc.);
- data visualization.
- monitoring ›
Zabbix is software that monitors numerous parameters of a network and the health and integrity of servers.
Zabbix agent is deployed on a monitoring target to actively monitor local resources and applications (hard drives, memory, processor statistics etc).
The agent gathers operational information locally and reports data to Zabbix server for further processing. In case of failures (such as a hard disk running full or a crashed service process), Zabbix server can actively alert the administrators of the particular machine that reported the failure.
This charm is designed to be used with other charms. Zabbix agents can perform passive and active checks. Both of them are supported by this charm.
In a passive check the agent responds to a data request. Zabbix server (or proxy) asks for data, for example, CPU load, and Zabbix agent sends back the result.
Active checks require more complex processing. The agent must first retrieve a list of items from Zabbix server for independent processing. Then it will periodically send new values to the server.
juju add-relation zabbix-agent:agent-passive zabbix-server juju add-relation zabbix-agent:agent-active zabbix-server juju add-relation zabbix-agent:agent-passive zabbix-proxy juju add-relation zabbix-agent:agent-active zabbix-proxy
Zabbix server/proxy adds new Zabbix agent to host list using Hostname option from configuration or 'hostname' command if Hostname option is empty.
There is listed a few major configuration options which can be changed:
Hostname - Hostname of the monitored server. Zabbix agent will send the information to Zabbix server.
Timeout - Spend no more than Timeout seconds on checks processing.
ListenPort - Agent will listen on this port for connections from the server.
juju set zabbix-agent Timeout=10
Known Issues / Caveates
Zabbix server/proxy can use different database types, so while relation to database is not added, there is no installed Zabbix server/proxy packages.
We recommend to add a relation between Zabbix agent and Zabbix server/proxy after adding relation Zabbix server/proxy with one of available database types.
The charm Zabbix server/proxy supports only MySQL database.
In case of relation with Zabbix proxy new host will be not added to monitoring. This option is available for relations with Zabbix server only.
Web Interface username/password
- (int) Allow the agent to run as 'root'.
- (int) Do not keep data longer than N seconds in buffer.
- (int) Maximum number of values in a memory buffer.
- (int) Specifies debug level.
- (int) Whether remote commands from Zabbix server are allowed.
- (string) Optional parameter that defines host metadata. Host metadata is used only at host auto-registration process (active agent).
- (string) Optional parameter that defines a Zabbix agent item used for getting host metadata.
- (string) Unique, case sensitive hostname.
- (string) Optional parameter that defines a Zabbix agent item used for getting host name.
- (int) Agent will listen on this port for connections from the server.
- (string) Full path to location of agent modules.
- (int) Maximum size of log file in MB.
- (int) Enable logging of executed shell commands as warnings.
- (int) Maximum number of new lines the agent will send per second to Zabbix server or proxy when processing 'log' and 'eventlog' active checks.
- (int) How often list of active checks is refreshed, in seconds.
- (int) Spend no more than Timeout seconds on processing. Range from 1 to 30.
- (int) Allow all characters to be passed in arguments to user-defined parameters.