Graphite consists of a storage backend and a web-based visualization
frontend. Client applications send streams of numeric time-series
data to the Graphite backend (called carbon), where it gets stored
in fixed-size database files similar in design to RRD. The web
frontend provides 2 distinct user interfaces for visualizing this
data in graphs as well as a simple URL-based API for direct graph
generation. Graphite's design is focussed on providing simple
interfaces (both to users and applications), real-time
visualization, high-availability, and enterprise scalability.
This charm will install Graphite (graph serving webapp) and Carbon
(the metrics sink backend). It's based on the work of the Canonical
CI Engineering team, but does not install, run and expose txtstatsd by
Docs and charm are in transition. Apologizies for rough edges and help
- Replace carbon & statsd with hekad
- Enable clustering
$ make deploy
If you would like to deploy with postgres instead of sqlite3 you will
also need to deploy postgres and add the relation:
$ juju add-relation graphite:pgsql postgres:db
Add a user
Graphite requires a user for saving graphs.
juju ssh graphite-heka/0 -t sudo graphite-manage createsuperuser
You will be prompted for an username, email and password.
Adding data to graphite
Currently, this charm exposes a line-interface for direct carbon input
and udp statsd input if the statsd config option is set to true.
Note about Dependencies
The makefile to run tests requires the following dependencies
$ sudo apt-get install python-nose python-mock python-flake8
Presently the graphite charm only works with one graphite instance deployed or
one graphite and one postgresql instance deployed. It is not presently able to
scale out further than that.
- (string) Repository from which to install ansible
- (boolean) Install ansible from a PPA
- (string) Base directory for deployment
- (string) The PPA location of the graphite packages. Leave blank to use distro archives.
- (string) Instance type (development, staging or production).
- (int) Port to use for accessing via gunicorn
- (string) The web site secret key.
- (boolean) Install and run txstatsd
- (string) Default is the storage-schemas example as provided by graphite-carbon. If a custom schema is needed, please place it in the files/ directory and change this to files/<filename.conf>
- (string) Switch worker process to run as this group. A valid group id (as an int) or the name.
- (string) Switch worker processes to run as this user. User id (as an int) or the name.