Telegraf is an agent written in Go for collecting metrics from the system it's running on, or from other services, and writing them into InfluxDB or other outputs.
Design goals are to have a minimal memory footprint with a plugin system so that developers in the community can easily add support for collecting metrics from well known services (like Hadoop, Postgres, or Redis) and third party APIs (like Mailchimp, AWS CloudWatch, or Google Analytics).
New input and output plugins are designed to be easy to contribute, we'll eagerly accept pull requests and will manage the set of plugins that Telegraf supports. See the contributing guide for instructions on writing new plugins.
- monitoring ›
This is a subordinate charm to deploy telegraf metrics agent to collect metrics from all services deployed in the environment.
For details about telegraf see: https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf
Deploy telegraf alonside your service, and also a time series storage (in this case, influxdb)
juju deploy telegraf juju deploy influxdb juju deploy some-service
Add the relations:
juju add-relation telegraf:juju-info some-service:juju-info juju add-relation telegraf:influxdb-api influxdb:api
By default there is no output plugin configured, but a basic set of input plugins are setup, which can be overriden with inputs_config charm config.
The only output plugin supported via relation is influxdb, any other output plugin needs to be configured manually (via juju set)
To configure any of the (default or via relation) plugins, the extra_options charm config can be used. It's string in yaml format, for example:
inputs: cpu: percpu: false fielddrop: ["time_*"] disk: mount_points: ["/"] ignore_fs: ["tmpfs", "devtmpfs"] elasticsearch: local: false cluster_health: true postgresql: databases: ["foo", "bar"] tagpass: db: ["template", "postgres"] outputs: influxdb: precision: ms
This extra options will only be applied to plugins defined in templates/base_inputs.conf and any other plugins configured via relations.
To use a different metrics storage, e.g: graphite. the plugin configuration needs to be set as a base64 string in outputs_config configuration.
For exmaple, save the following config to a file:
[[outputs.graphite]] servers = ["10.0.3.231:2003"] prefix = "juju_local.devel.telegraf" timeout = 10
juju set telegraf outputs_config="$(cat graphite-output.conf | base64)"
This will make telegraf agents to send the metrics to the graphite instance.
- (string) An apt sources.list line for a repository containing the telegraf package
- (string) GPG key for apt_repository
- (string) Collection jitter is used to jitter the collection by a random amount. Each plugin will sleep for a random time within jitter before collecting. This can be used to avoid many plugins querying things like sysfs at the same time, which can have a measurable effect on the system.
- (boolean) Run telegraf in debug mode
- (string) YAML with extra options for out|inputs managed by relations or in the default config. example: inputs: cpu: percpu: false fielddrop: ["time_*"] disk: mount_points: ["/"] ignore_fs: ["tmpfs", "devtmpfs"] elasticsearch: local: false cluster_health: true postgresql: databases: ["foo", "bar"] tagpass: db: ["template", "postgres"] outputs: influxdb: precision: ms
- (string) Default data flushing interval for all outputs. You should not set this below interval. Maximum flush_interval will be flush_interval + flush_jitter
- (string) Jitter the flush interval by a random amount. This is primarily to avoid large write spikes for users running a large number of telegraf instances. ie, a jitter of 5s and interval 10s means flushes will happen every 10-15s
- (string) Override default hostname, if empty use os.Hostname() Supports using UNIT_NAME as the value, and the charm will use a sanitized unit name, e.g: service_name-0
- (string) [inputs.xxx] sections as base64 string
- (string) Default data collection interval for all plugins
- (int) Telegraf will cache metric_buffer_limit metrics for each output, and will flush this buffer on a successful write.
- (string) [outputs.xxx] sections as base64 string
- (string) Filename of telegraf deb package. If this matches the name of a file in the files charm directory the package will be installed from there, otherwise it will try to install it from the repository provided by apt_repository.
- (boolean) Run telegraf in quiet mode
- (boolean) Rounds collection interval to 'interval' ie, if interval="10s" then always collect on :00, :10, :20, etc.
- (string) Comma separated list of global tags. ie, 'dc=us-east-1,rack=1a' will tag all metrics with dc=us-east-1 and rack=1a