MySQL is a fast, stable and true multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database
server. SQL (Structured Query Language) is the most popular database query
language in the world. The main goals of MySQL are speed, robustness and
ease of use.
- databases ›
MySQL is a fast, stable and true multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database server.
SQL (Structured Query Language) is the most popular database query language in
the world. The main goals of MySQL are speed, robustness and ease of use.
Percona is fork of MySQL by Percona Inc. which focuses on maximizing
performance, particularly for heavy workloads. It is a drop-in replacement for
MySQL and features XtraDB, a drop-in replacement for the InnoDB storage engine.
To deploy a MySQL service:
juju deploy mysql
Once deployed, you can ssh into the deployed service and access the
MySQL console as the MySQL root user:
juju ssh <unit> mysql -u root -p # enter root password - /var/lib/juju/mysql.passwd
To change deployment to a Percona server:
juju set mysql flavor=percona
You can tweak various options to optimize your MySQL deployment:
max-connections - Maximum connections allowed to server or '-1' for default.
preferred-storage-engine - A comma separated list of storage engines to
optimize for. First in the list is marked as default storage engine. 'InnoDB'
or 'MyISAM' are acceptable values.
tuning-level - Specify 'safest', 'fast' or 'unsafe' to choose required
transaction safety. This option determines the flush value for innodb commit
and binary logs. Specify 'safest' for full ACID compliance. 'fast' relaxes the
compliance for performance and 'unsafe' will remove most restrictions.
dataset-size - Memory allocation for all caches (InnoDB buffer pool, MyISAM
key, query). Suffix value with 'K', 'M', 'G' or 'T' to indicate unit of
kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte or terabyte respectively. Suffix value with '%'
to use percentage of machine's total memory.
query-cache-type - Specify 'ON', 'DEMAND' or 'OFF' to turn query cache on,
selectively (dependent on queries) or off.
query-cache-size - Size of query cache (no. of bytes) or '-1' to use 20%
of memory allocation.
Each of these can be applied by running:
juju set <service> <option>=<value>
juju set mysql preferred-storage-engine=InnoDB juju set mysql dataset-size=50% juju set mysql query-cache-type=ON juju set mysql query-cache-size=-1
MySQL supports the ability to replicate databases to slave instances. This
allows you, for example, to load balance read queries across multiple slaves or
use a slave to perform backups, all whilst not impeding the master's
To deploy a slave:
# deploy second service juju deploy mysql mysql-slave # add master to slave relation juju add-relation mysql:master mysql-slave:slave
Any changes to the master are reflected on the slave.
Any queries that modify the database(s) should be applied to the master only.
The slave should be treated strictly as read only.
You can add further slaves with:
juju add-unit mysql-slave
This charm provides relations that support monitoring via either Nagios or
Munin. Refer to the appropriate charm for usage.
- (string) If binlogging is enabled, this is the format that will be used. Ignored when tuning-level == fast.
- (int) Default block storage size to create when setting up MySQL block storage. This value should be specified in GB (e.g. 100 not 100GB).
- (string) How much data do you want to keep in memory in the DB. This will be used to tune settings in the database server appropriately. Any more specific settings will override these defaults though. This currently sets innodb_buffer_pool_size or key_cache_size depending on the setting in preferred-storage-engine. If query-cache-type is set to 'ON' or 'DEMAND' 20% of this is given to query-cache-size. Suffix this value with 'K','M','G', or 'T' to get the relevant kilo/mega/etc. bytes. If suffixed with %, one will get that percentage of RAM devoted to dataset and (if enabled) query cache.
- (string) Possible values are 'distro' or 'percona'
- (string) Default network interface on which HA cluster will bind to communication with the other members of the HA Cluster.
- (int) Default multicast port number that will be used to communicate between HA Cluster nodes.
- (int) Maximum connections to allow. -1 means use the server's compiled in default.
- (string) Tune the server for usage of this storage engine. Other possible value is MyISAM. Comma separated will cause settings to split resources evenly among given engines.
- (int) Override the computed version from dataset-size. Still works if query-cache-type is "OFF" since sessions can override the cache type setting on their own.
- (string) Query cache is usually a good idea, but can hurt concurrency. Valid values are "OFF", "ON", or "DEMAND". http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/server-system-variables.html#sysvar_query_cache_type
- (string) The name that will be used to create the Ceph's RBD image with. If the image name exists in Ceph, it will be re-used and the data will be overwritten.
- (string) Valid values are 'safest', 'fast', and 'unsafe'. If set to safest, all settings are tuned to have maximum safety at the cost of performance. Fast will turn off most controls, but may lose data on crashes. unsafe will turn off all protections.
- (string) Virtual IP to use to front mysql in ha configuration
- (int) Netmask that will be used for the Virtual IP
- (string) Network Interface where to place the Virtual IP