Magpie will check ICMP, DNS, MTU and rx/tx speed between itself and any peer units deployed - deploy more than one magpie unit for meaningful results.
Magpie is a charm used for testing the networking of a juju provider/substrate. Simply deploy more than one Magpie charm and watch the status messages and debug logs.
Magpie will test:
- DNS functionality
- Local hostname lookup
- ICMP between peers
- MTU between leader and clients
- Transfer between leader and clients
MTU and transfer speed are tested with iperf2
Status messages will show the unit numbers that have issues - if there are no problems, there will not be a verbose status message.
All actions, strings, queries and actions are logged in the juju logs.
The MTU size reported by iperf is sometimes 8 or 12 bytes less than the configured MTU on the interface. This is due to TCP options not being included in the measurement, and therefore we ignore that difference and report everything OK.
In addition to ICMP and DNS status messages, if a networking problem is detected, the workload status of the agent which has found the issues will be set to blocked.
This layer will set the following states:
magpie-icmp.failedICMP has failed to one or more units in the peer relation.
magpie-dns.failedDNS has failed to one or more units in the peer relation.
Note: work stopped on these states as it is currently unlikely magpie will be consumed as a layer. Please open an issue against this github repo if more states are required.
juju deploy magpie -n 2 juju deploy magpie -n 1 --to lxd:1
This charm also supports the following config values:
check_local_hostname: default: true description: Check if local hostname is resolvable type: boolean dns_server: default: '' description: DNS Server to use (default: system default) type: string dns_tries: default: 1 description: Number of DNS resolution attempts per query type: int dns_time: default: 3 description: Timeout in seconds per DNS query try type: int ping_timeout: default: 2 description: Timeout in seconds per ICMP request type: int ping_tries: default: 1 description: Number of ICMP packets per ping type: int required_mtu: default: 0 description: | Desired MTU for all nodes - block if the unit MTU is different (accounting for encapsulation). 0 disables. type: int min_speed: default: 0 description: | Minimum transfer speed in mbits/s required to pass the test. 0 disables.
juju set magpie dns_server=126.96.36.199 required_mtu=9000 min_speed=1000
- (string) Comma separated list of expected bonds
- (boolean) Check if peers are resolveble
- (boolean) Execute iperf network performance test
- (boolean) Check if local hostname is resolvable
- (boolean) Check LLDP port description to match hostname
- (string) Use unit default DNS server
- (int) Timeout in seconds per DNS query try
- (int) Number of DNS resolution attempts per query
- (int) Minimum transfer speed in mbit/s required to pass the test. 0 disables.
- (int) Timeout in seconds per ICMP request
- (int) Number of ICMP packets per ping
- (int) Desired MTU for all nodes - block if the unit MTU is different (accounting for encapsulation). 0 disables.
- (boolean) Enable this if you intend to consume this layer - supresses status messages
- (boolean) Enable LLDP agent and collect data