IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale is an elastic, scalable, in-memory data grid (IMDG). It is designed to help you handle exponential growth of transactions. With WebSphere eXtreme Scale, you can expect an enhanced quality of service in high-performance computing environments.
Software & terms:
Charm for IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale (IBM WXS) 8.6.1 for Container Service
The WebSphere eXtreme Scale licensed program is an elastic, scalable, in-memory data grid. The data grid dynamically caches, partitions, replicates, and manages application data and business logic across multiple servers. WebSphere eXtreme Scale performs massive volumes of transaction processing with high efficiency and linear scalability. With WebSphere eXtreme Scale, you can also get qualities of service such as transactional integrity, high availability, and predictable response times. For details on IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale, as well as information on purchasing, please visit: Product Page and at the Passport Advantage Site. More information available at the IBM Knowledge Center
IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale Container Service
This charm is using IBM Installation Manager to install IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale Software. This charm is using ibm-im charm as base layer to install Installation Manager tool.
This charm makes use of resources, a feature only available in Juju 2.0. During deploy or upgrade, you will need to specify the installable package(s) required by this charm. Download your licensed IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale packages from the Product Page.
Packages for Ubuntu on AMD64 (x86_64):
IBM Installation Manager 1.8 (
IBM WXS 8.6.1 (
Packages for Ubuntu on Power (ppc64le):
IBM WXS 8.6.1 (
IBM Installation Manager and
IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale products by visiting the im-license-info and wxs-license-info page.
Search for "IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale" and choose the license that applies to the version you are using.
Memory and Disk Requirements
Approximately 1.1 GB of disk space to store the required downloadable parts Approximately 1.1 GB of disk space to unpack the parts Approximately 400 MB of disk space to install the product Approximately 100 MB of space in the tmp directory to run the installation program
WebSphere eXtreme Scale Container Service Charm requires 15 GB of root disk to download packages and install the IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale Container Service Software. By default available root disk space is 8GB.
To request a larger root disk, run the following command:
juju set-constraints root-disk=15G
Run the following commands to deploy this charm:
On x86_64, ppc64le or s390x :
juju deploy ibm-wxs-container --resource ibm_im_installer=</path/to/ibm_im_installer.zip> --resource ibm_wxs_base_installer=</path/to/ibm_wxs_base_installer.zip>
To accept the terms:
juju agree ibm-im/1 ibm-wxs/1 juju deploy ibm-wxs-container
To Expose the IBM WXS Container Service to public, run the following command:
juju expose ibm-wxs-container
Once deployed, user can upgrade the existing installation by installing fixpacks:
If user wants to upgrade existing installation of Installtion Manger, run the following command:
juju attach ibm-wxs-container ibm_im_fixpack=</path/to/fixpack.zip>
To upgrade WXS Container installation:
juju attach ibm-wxs-container ibm_wxs_fixpack_installer=</path/to/ibm_wxs_fixpack_installer.zip>
After installing IBM WXS Container Server, The Container server should be Up and Running on the hostname and port of the Catalog Server that it is connected.
Relating with IBM WXS Container
Install IBM WXS Catalog Charm.
IBM WXS Container charm is related to IBM WXS Catalog. To add a relation, run the following command:
juju add-relation ibm-wxs-catalog ibm-wxs-container
In the above relation, it uses
ibm-wxs interface. IBM WXS Container charm is related to IBM WXS Catalog charm, to make WXS Data Grid available for user to access from IBM WXS Client charm.
After establishing relation with IBM WXS Catalog charms, user can check container service running inside the container, by issueing the following command:
juju run --machine <id> 'ps -ef | grep [c]atalogServiceEndPoint'
Container should be running with hostname and port of related Catalog server.
To remove the relation, run the following command:
juju remove-relation ibm-wxs-catalog ibm-wxs-container
IBM Installation Manager(IM) Information
(1) General Information Details about IM available at IBM Knowledge Center.
IBM IBM WebSphere eXtreme Scale Information
(1) General Information
Details about IBM WXS software available at IBM Knowledge Center.
Information on procuring WXS product is available at the Passport Advantage site
(2) Download Information
Details about IBM WXS 8.6.1 download available here
Information about installation of IBM WXS on 'x86_64', 'ppc64le' and 's390x' based machine available here
More information about IBM IM Downloadable file and IBM WXS Downloadable files available here
For issues with this charm, please contact IBM Juju Support team email@example.com
- (string) The options passed to the 'curl' command when fetching files from curl_url. For example: '-u <user:password>'
- (string) Location of the IBM product installation file(s). This should be a URL that curl can use to download files. Multiple URLs should be separated by a space. NOTE: cryptographic verification is required and must be specified as part of the URL query string with the key a valid hash algorithms md5, sha256, or sha512, and the the checksum value itself (http://<url>?[md5|sha256|sha512]=<checksum>). For example: 'http://example.com/file.tgz?sha256=<sum>' 'sftp://example.com/file1.tgz?md5=<sum> ftp://example.com/file2.tgz?md5=<sum>'
- (string) Space separated list of extra deb packages to install.
- (string) List of signing keys for install_sources package sources, per charmhelpers standard format (a yaml list of strings encoded as a string). The keys should be the full ASCII armoured GPG public keys. While GPG key ids are also supported and looked up on a keyserver, operators should be aware that this mechanism is insecure. null can be used if a standard package signing key is used that will already be installed on the machine, and for PPA sources where the package signing key is securely retrieved from Launchpad.
- (string) List of extra apt sources, per charm-helpers standard format (a yaml list of strings encoded as a string). Each source may be either a line that can be added directly to sources.list(5), or in the form ppa:<user>/<ppa-name> for adding Personal Package Archives, or a distribution component to enable.
- (boolean) Some IBM charms require acceptance of a license before installation can proceed. If required, setting this option to True indicates that you have read and accepted the IBM terms and conditions found in the license file referenced by the charm.
- (string) The status of service-affecting packages will be set to this value in the dpkg database. Valid values are "install" and "hold".