Spectrum Scale provides simplified data management and integrated information lifecycle tools capable of managing petabytes of data and billions of files, in order to arrest the growing cost of managing ever growing amounts of data. A Spectrum Scale client node is any server that has the Spectrum Scale product installed but do not support direct attached disks. Also a client node will not be part of the node pool from which file system managers and token managers can be selected.
Software & terms:
Charm for IBM Spectrum Scale (GPFS) Client V 4.2
IBM Spectrum Scale Client
IBM Spectrum Scale or GPFS provides simplified data management and integrated information lifecycle tools capable of managing petabytes of data and billions of files, in order to arrest the growing cost of managing ever growing amounts of data.
client node is any server that has the Spectrum Scale product installed but do not support direct attached disks. Also a client node will not be part of the node pool from which file system managers and token managers can be selected.
Note that due to the GPFS kernel module, this charm will not work in an LXC container environment.
This charm makes use of resources, a feature only available in Juju 2.0. During deploy, you will need to specify the installable package(s)
required by this charm. Download your licensed
IBM Spectrum Scale Standard 4.2.0 version for Ubuntu. To acquire and download IBM Spectrum Scale, follow instructions available at the Product Page.
This charm will deploy only the Standard edition for IBM Spectrum Scale.
x86_64 Ubuntu, the packages and their part numbers are:
IBM Spectrum Scale Standard 4.2.0 Linux for x86Series English (CN78UEN)
Power Ubuntu, the packages and their part numbers are:
IBM Spectrum Scale Standard 4.2.0 Linux PWR8 LE English (CN78VEN)
the Software license agreements search website. Search for
"IBM Spectrum Scale, V4.2.0" and choose the license that applies to the version you are using.
Run the following commands to deploy this charm:
1) juju deploy ibm-spectrum-scale-client --resource ibm_spectrum_scale_installer_client=</path/to/installer.tar.gz> 2) juju add-relation ibm-spectrum-scale-client ibm-spectrum-scale-manager
juju agree ibm-spectrum-scale/1
Once you have agreed to the Terms, then only the IBM Spectrum Scale Client charm will be deployed.
Once IBM Spectrum Scale client is deployed successfully, a node will be added to the Spectrum Scale cluster with designated license as
client and node designation as
To verify that the client node is added successfully, run the below commands:
1) Go to the machine where Spectrum Scale client is installed.
2) Go to the Spectrum Scale bin folder path :
3) We can execute the commands as a root user only, so do
sudo su to run the commands as root user
4) Run the
mmlscluster command can be used to display cluster information or
mmgetstate command to see the status of the client node
5) You can issue command
df -h to see whether gpfs filesystem (
fs1) is listed or not.
Adding more units of Spectrum Scale Client
To add more units of Spectrum Scale Client, run the below command:
juju add-unit ibm-spectrum-scale-client
Once deployed, users can install fixpacks by upgrading the charm:
juju attach ibm-spectrum-scale-client ibm_spectrum_scale_fixpack=</path/to/fixpack_pkg_name.tar.gz>
Note : The Spectrum Scale fixpack is available as an already extracted package. Please run the below command to create a
tar.gz package and then place it in the directory which you have used to place the resources for installing Spectrum Scale as shown in the example below:
tar -czvf SPEC_SCALE_STD_126.96.36.199_LINUX_X86SERIE.tar.gz Spectrum_Scale_Standard-188.8.131.52-x86_64-Linux-install
Then you can use juju attach to attach the fixpack as shown below:
juju attach ibm-spectrum-scale-client ibm_spectrum_scale_fixpack=test/SPEC_SCALE_STD_184.108.40.206_LINUX_X86SERIE.tar.gz
If the spectrum scale manager charm is updated, please do update the spectrum scale client as well. Both
Client nodes should be at same Spectrum Scale version.
An IBM Spectrum Scale client charm is related to IBM Spectrum Scale Manager, to remove relation between them, run the below step:
juju remove-relation ibm-spectrum-scale-client ibm-spectrum-scale-manager
This will remove the client node from the Spectrum Scale cluster. The GPFS file system will be unmounted before deleting the client node.
IBM Spectrum Scale Information
(1) General Information
Information on IBM Spectrum Scale available at the Product Page
(2) Download Information
Information on procuring IBM Platform LSF product is available at the Passport Advantage Site
(3) Spectrum Scale Infocenter
To know more details about how Spectrum Scale works, refer to Spectrum Scale Infocenter IBM Spectrum Scale Knowledge Center
License information for IBM Spectrum Scale can be viewed at the Software license agreements search website
(5) Contact Information
For issues with this charm, please contact IBM Juju Support Team firstname.lastname@example.org
(6) Known Limitations
This charm makes use of Juju features that are only available in version
- (string) The options passed to the 'curl' command when fetching files from curl_url. For example: '-u <user:password>'
- (string) Location of the IBM product installation file(s). This should be a URL that curl can use to download files. Multiple URLs should be separated by a space. NOTE: cryptographic verification is required and must be specified as part of the URL query string with the key a valid hash algorithms md5, sha256, or sha512, and the the checksum value itself (http://<url>?[md5|sha256|sha512]=<checksum>). For example: 'http://example.com/file.tgz?sha256=<sum>' 'sftp://example.com/file1.tgz?md5=<sum> ftp://example.com/file2.tgz?md5=<sum>'
- (string) Space separated list of extra deb packages to install.
- (string) List of signing keys for install_sources package sources, per charmhelpers standard format (a yaml list of strings encoded as a string). The keys should be the full ASCII armoured GPG public keys. While GPG key ids are also supported and looked up on a keyserver, operators should be aware that this mechanism is insecure. null can be used if a standard package signing key is used that will already be installed on the machine, and for PPA sources where the package signing key is securely retrieved from Launchpad.
- (string) List of extra apt sources, per charm-helpers standard format (a yaml list of strings encoded as a string). Each source may be either a line that can be added directly to sources.list(5), or in the form ppa:<user>/<ppa-name> for adding Personal Package Archives, or a distribution component to enable.
- (boolean) Some IBM charms require acceptance of a license before installation can proceed. If required, setting this option to True indicates that you have read and accepted the IBM terms and conditions found in the license file referenced by the charm.
- (string) The status of service-affecting packages will be set to this value in the dpkg database. Valid values are "install" and "hold".