This charm provides storage server for IBM Platform Symphony so that symphony master and compute node can be installed in the remote machine.
- ibm ›
- apt ›
- leadership ›
- ibm ›
- symphony ›
- storage_server ›
- application_optimization ›
- cluster ›
- virtualization ›
Software & terms:
Charm for IBM Platform Symphony Storage v7.1.1
IBM Platform Symphony Storage
IBM Platform Symphony (Symphony) is enterprise-class software that distributes and virtualizes compute-intensive application services and processes across existing heterogeneous IT resources.
IBM Platform Symphony Storage will act as a shared repository for a Symphony Cluster comprising of Symphony Master/Master-Candidates and Symphony Compute Node. Symphony will be installed and installation/configuration files will be shared with other hosts.
For details on IBM Platform Symphony, as well as information on purchasing, please visit:
More information available at the IBM Knowledge Center
Please note that the Symphony charms(Symphony Storage, Symphony Master and Symphony Node) will create Symphony cluster having same host types(either x86 or ppcle). Symphony supports different host types to be part of Symphony Cluster. But the Symphony charms as of now supports same host type model only(So all the hosts ie master, server should have same machine architecture either x86 or ppcle).
Download your licensed
IBM Platform Symphony 7.1.1 version for Ubuntu. To acquire and download IBM Platform
Symphony, follow instructions available at the Product Page.
This charm will deploy only the Standard edition for Platform Symphony. To download and install the
code contained in this charm you must agree to the IBM license. You can view the full license for IBM Platform
Symphony by visiting the Software license agreements search website.
"IBM Platform Symphony, v7.1.1" and choose the license that applies
to the version you are using.
x86_64 Ubuntu, the package name and part number is:
Power Ubuntu, the package name and part number is:
x86_64 Ubuntu and
Power Ubuntu will be same and its package name and part number is:
In case you already have an IBM account and cannot download the product or for other error during SW download, please refer to the IBM Support Site to solve the error.
This charm uses NFS for file sharing (Note: No separate NFS charm required, it is handled by Symphony code only). If you are deploying the Symphony charm on a LXC/LXD container, such as the juju local provider, there are additional steps that need to be taken prior to deployment due to NFS limitation on LXC/LXD containers.
On the LXC/LXD host:
apt-get install nfs-common modprobe nfsd mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd
For LXC only: Edit /etc/apparmor.d/lxc/lxc-default and add the following three lines to it:
mount fstype=nfs, mount fstype=nfs4, mount fstype=nfsd, mount fstype=rpc_pipefs,
sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor restart
For LXD only
lxc profile set default raw.apparmor "mount fstype=nfs, mount fstype=nfs4, mount fstype=nfsd, mount fstype=rpc_pipefs," lxc profile set default security.privileged true
Once this is done, then you can deploy your IBM Platform Symphony charm.
This charm will deploy
Symphony Storage Server.
Symphony Storage Server will act as a shared file system where Symphony will be installed.
All the other hosts i.e.Master/Master Candidates and Servers will be accessing this Storage server. The shared Symphony directory
/opt/ibm/platformsymphony will be mounted to each host.
To configure a Symphony Cluster, you need to deploy Symphony Storage Server, Master/Master-Candidate and Server. This charm will deploy only Symphony Storage, You need to deploy IBM Platform Symphony Master and IBM Platform Symphony node charm to have a working Symphony Cluster
To deploy IBM Platform Symphony Storage Charm, follow the below step:
1) Deploy the Symphony Storage charm
juju deploy ibm-platform-symphony-storage --series trusty --resource ibm_ps_installer=<path of installation package> --resource ibm_ps_entitlement=<path of entitlement file>
Symphony Storage charm requires two resources for its installation, the
Symphony Installation package and
Entitlement file. If any one of these resources is not provided, the charm will not allow further installation until the missing resource is provided.
juju agree ibm-platform-symphony/1
Once you have agreed to the Terms, then only the Symphony Storage charm will be deployed.
Once your IBM Platform Symphony is installed successfully, you can login into the container and go the Symphony Install path :
cd /opt/ibm/platformsymphony where all Symphony configuration and bin files will be present.
Please Note that this is a Storage Server, this host will not be part of Symphony Cluster, so Symphony Daemons will not be running
Relations with IBM Platform Symphony Master and Symphony node charms
The Symphony Storage server charm in itself is not useful until a relation is established between Symphony Storage and Symphony Master Charm. Please refer to IBM Platform Symphony Master charm README for more details.
IBM Platform Symphony Information
(1) General Information Information on IBM Platform Symphony available at the IBM Knowledge Center
(2) Download Information Information on procuring IBM Platform Symphony product is available at the Passport Advantage Site
(3) Contact Information For issues with this charm, please contact IBM Juju Support Team firstname.lastname@example.org
(4) Known Limitations This charm makes use of Juju Status commands, and requires juju 2.0
- (string) The options passed to the 'curl' command when fetching files from curl_url. For example: '-u <user:password>'
- (string) Location of the IBM product installation file(s). This should be a URL that curl can use to download files. Multiple URLs should be separated by a space. NOTE: cryptographic verification is required and must be specified as part of the URL query string with the key a valid hash algorithms md5, sha256, or sha512, and the the checksum value itself (http://<url>?[md5|sha256|sha512]=<checksum>). For example: 'http://example.com/file.tgz?sha256=<sum>' 'sftp://example.com/file1.tgz?md5=<sum> ftp://example.com/file2.tgz?md5=<sum>'
- (string) Space separated list of extra deb packages to install.
- (string) List of signing keys for install_sources package sources, per charmhelpers standard format (a yaml list of strings encoded as a string). The keys should be the full ASCII armoured GPG public keys. While GPG key ids are also supported and looked up on a keyserver, operators should be aware that this mechanism is insecure. null can be used if a standard package signing key is used that will already be installed on the machine, and for PPA sources where the package signing key is securely retrieved from Launchpad.
- (string) List of extra apt sources, per charm-helpers standard format (a yaml list of strings encoded as a string). Each source may be either a line that can be added directly to sources.list(5), or in the form ppa:<user>/<ppa-name> for adding Personal Package Archives, or a distribution component to enable.
- (boolean) Some IBM charms require acceptance of a license before installation can proceed. If required, setting this option to True indicates that you have read and accepted the IBM terms and conditions found in the license file referenced by the charm.
- (string) The status of service-affecting packages will be set to this value in the dpkg database. Valid values are "install" and "hold".