Install HAProxy suitable for charms to register for reverse proxy of services
- misc ›
This charm provides HAProxy. HAProxy describes itself as a free, very fast and reliable solution offering high availability, load balancing, and proxying for TCP and HTTP-based applications. It is particularly suited for very high traffic web sites and powers quite a number of the world's most visited ones. Over the years it has become the de-facto standard open source load balancer, is now shipped with most mainstream Linux distributions, and is often deployed by default in cloud platforms. Since it does not advertise itself, we only know it's used when the admins report it :-)
juju deploy cs:~alchemy-charmers/haproxy
You will most likely want to use a bundle to set options during deployment. The primary use case for this charm is to allow other charms that implement the reverse proxy interface to automatically register for reverse proxy. This charm will allow both http and tcp reverse proxy's to be requested from other charms. Additionally, for http reverse proxy Letsencrypt is provided to allow HAProxy to automatically register for a certificate and terminate the SSL/TLS connection. Finally, this charm provides options to use UPNP for automatically requesting ports via UPNP. Most of these features are off by default, see the configuration options to enable them.
Known Limitations and Issues
This charm is under development, several other use cases/features are still under consideration. Merge requests are appreciated, some examples of current limitations include.
- No HA Failover or Scaleout usage currently implemented
- Can not restrict the ports other charms request
See the full list of configuration options below. This will detail some of the options that are worth highlighting.
- To access HAProxy stats please see "stats-user", "stats-passwd", "stats-url", "stats-port", and "stats-local" configuration settings. Note that the stats port must be unique, if you want to use the default port of 9000 for other service you should change this setting.
- UPNP is provided via monkey patch and should be considered a convenience. Running UPNP in production is not recommended practice.
- hostname will allow you to customize the hostname of HAProxy, be aware that doing this can cause multiple hosts to have the same hostname if you scale out the number of units. Setting hostname to "$UNIT" will set the hostname to the juju unit id.
Some limited upgrade support is available. The charm will only upgrade for specific versions. Currently this includes: * Xenial: 1.7 * Bionic: 1.8, 1.9
Upgrading to a new Ubuntu release is currently tested from Xenial to Bionic. The upgrade procedures are the standard juju series upgrade procedures. Substitute your machine id in the example below.
From the juju client
juju upgrade-series $MACHINE prepare bionic juju ssh $MACHINE
From the machine
sudo su - apt update apt upgrade -y apt dist-upgrade -y do-release-upgrade -f DistUpgradeViewNonInteractive reboot now
The upgrade will automatically answer all questions, there is no need to interact with the release upgrade. When it is complete a reboot should be done manually.
Complete from the juju client
juju upgrade-series $MACHINE complete
Xenial to Bionic: After setting the upgrade to 'complete' HAProxy will be upgraded to the LTS
1.8 release. The charm can not change the juju config value. To make this match the installed
version set run
juju config haproxy version="1.8". Optionally, you can set this to 1.9
instead and an upgrade to 1.9 will be performed.
Upstream Project Information
- Code: https://github.com/chris-sanders/layer-haproxy
- Bug tracking: https://github.com/chris-sanders/layer-haproxy/issues
- Contact information: email@example.com
- (string) Cron interval for letsencrypt renew, if in use
- (boolean) Rewrite 'Destination' header so WebDav servers wont fail on mismatched file paths (http vs https)
- (boolean) Enable HTTP2 is HTTPS is enabled and at least version 1.9 is installed.
- (boolean) Redirect http requets with no explicit backend to https
- (boolean) Enable use of letsencrypt
- (boolean) Enable HAProxy stats page
- (boolean) Attempt to open ports via upnp on port open
- (string) The host name to set
- (string) Comma delimited list of domains to register
- (string) Email to register with letsencrypt
- (boolean) Restrict stats to local IP ranges
- (string) Password for accessing stats page
- (int) Port for accessing stats page
- (string) URL for accessing stats page
- (string) Username for accessing stats page
- (string) Cron interval to rewnew upnp, if in use
- (string) Version of HAProxy to install, or upgrade to