IBM Java SDK is an installable Java package, which contains the Java API that helps you to develop and deploy the application. The Java SDK includes Java Compiler, Java Runtime Environment, JVM.
IBM Java 1.8.0
The IBM implementation of the Java platform provides a development toolkit and an application runtime environment.
IBM supplies two installable packages depending on platform: The Software Developers Kit (SDK) and the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The key components in this charm are
- IBM Software Developers Kit (SDK) - The SDK contains development tools and a Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
- Runtime Environment - The Java runtime environment (JRE) provides runtime support for Java applications.
- J9 Virtual Machine (JVM) - The IBM J9 virtual machine (JVM) is the platform-specific component that runs a Java program.
User and security guides to support this release are available for in the User Guide.
Late breaking news can be found in the IBM support technote.
Download of Product Binaries
Download your licensed IBM Java 1.8.0 software for Ubuntu from IBM developerWorks.
To install the downloaded binaries, you must agree to the IBM license.
IBM Java is a subordinate charm that can be related to any existing services which require a java interface.
Run the following to deploy this charm:
juju deploy ibm-java
Here is a simple deployment scenario where IBM Java is installed on the
juju deploy cs:trusty/ubuntu-devenv juju add-relation ubuntu-devenv ibm-java
In the above deployment scenario, ubuntu-devenv and ibm-java charms are related via the java interface. At this point, the charm will wait until the user accepts the license and provides required configuration.
Set all required config values such as the SFTP server, package name, remote directory where the installable package is hosted, username and password to connect to the SFTP host, and checksum value to proceed with installation. To provide these run the following command:
juju set ibm-java accept-ibm-java-license=True \ host=<sftp server host name> \ package_dir=<remote package path, do not add the package name> \ java_file_name=<java installer file name> \ username=<User name for the sftp host> \ password=<Password for the sftp host> \ java_path_name=<target installation directory (defaults to /opt/ibm/java)>
Once deployed, you can use IBM Java to run any Java workloads. Verify that java is installed correctly with:
juju run --service=ibm-java 'java -version'
Access the machine running IBM Java with:
juju ssh ibm-java/0
Uninstalling IBM Java
False will uninstall the product:
juju set ibm-java accept-ibm-java-license=False
- accept-ibm-java-license Before you can use or install IBM Java, you must accept the terms of the International License Agreement for Non-Warranted Programs and additional license information. Please read the license agreement carefully IBM Java SDK License. Set the value of accept-ibm-java-license to True if you agree to the IBM Java license.
IBM Java software cannot be installed until the terms and conditions are accepted. The charm will not function correctly until the this configuration option is set to True.
host The sftp server host name from which IBM Java installation packages can be downloaded.
package_dir The remote directory containing the IBM Java installation package.
java_file_name The IBM Java Package name. If not set, it is assigned to the default package name for power or x86_64 based machines.
username User name of the sftp host.
password Password of the sftp host.
java_path_name The IBM Java target installation directory. If not set, it will be assigned to the default value
sha Checksum value to check integrity of the downloaded IBM Java installaer package. This charm uses sha1sum to verify the integrity.
IBM Java Information
Details about IBM Java available Here.
Information on procuring IBM Java is available at the Product Page.
A development version of IBM Java is available Here.
License information for IBM Java can be viewed Here.
This charm makes use of Juju status commands, and requires juju 1.25 or greater.
For issues with this charm, please contact the IBM Juju Support Team.
- (boolean) The IBM Java software can only be used by accepting the terms and conditions for IBM Java License. Setting this option to True indicates that you have read and accepted the IBM Java terms and conditions found in the license file. The details about accessing the license(s) can be found in the README.
- (string) host name to find IBM Java packages. If not set or set incorrectly, the charm cannot find the IBM Java software.
- (string) Name of the IBM Java package. If not set, the Charm uses a predefined package name for download from the url location. If the predefined package is not available at url location or if set incorrectly, the charm cannot install the IBM Java software.
- (string) Target installation directory for the IBM Java.
- (string) Path to find the IBM Java packages on the above mentioned host. If not set or set incorrectly, the charm cannot find the IBM Java software.
- (string) Password for the host to log in to that particular repository. If not set or set incorrectly, the charm not able to download the software.
- (string) Checksum value to check integrity of IBM Java package. The Charm uses sha1sum to check the integrity. If empty, it does not carry out the integrity check. Refer README file to find out Checksum value for downloaded package. Cryptographic value should be altered by the user only when the package name is change. Else it should not be altered.
- (string) User name of the host to log in to that particular repository. If not set or set incorrectly, the charm not able to download the software.